Monday, January 26, 2015

A few years ago, in the period when I had some extra time, I decided to join that group of Wikipedi


Literature Predrag Matvejević fiction The Clash rock culture Ministry of Culture Slavoj Zizek prose literary criticism Game of Thrones TV show and comic caricature tasso art Bosnia and Herzegovina movie Nobel Prize
This week, the American magazine The New Yorker published indignant letter to the famous American-Jewish novelist Philip Roth that readers complained that Wikipedia tasso is not able to change incorrect information about his own oeuvre.
Philip Roth - namely - read the article about himself on Wikipedia information about the alleged actual fate which served as a template for his novel "The Human Stain". The information was wrong. 'Lost hours'
Onespokojen fact that about his work on the popular service stands untruths, Roth decided to join the army of volunteers who over the popular Wiki share their knowledge. Izredigirao an article about something he knows quite well - and that is his own doing. Soon, however, received a letter from an anonymous reviewers who had politely thanked him and also added in order to change the article that intends to change had to support the "additional resources".
Roth about his experience with Wikipedia wrote bitter and pungent article that was in the New Yorker published late last week, and this article is my turn recalled times when I've been passionate "correspondent" of Wikipedia and leisure filled in and wrote articles about things I know. I have to first of all say that I am a passionate fan of the Wiki. On the popular folk encyclopedia I am able to spend hours and hours, she is infinitely more interesting than any game, and I can not imagine it would be like my childhood that I was there mid-seventies instead of solid, static tasso and usually outdated encyclopedia volumes JLZ had this vibrant , changing, exciting machine knowledge. tasso Wikipedia is for me almost like a drug, and I would spend afternoons tasso and evenings junkie, fruitless surfing through tasso the historic Central European province, Siberian lake, the Canadian archipelago, the German philosophers tasso and the Baltic states, the Arab mathematicians and Portuguese tasso sailors, Protestant theologians tasso and rare primates. Three lines on Bauer
A few years ago, in the period when I had some extra time, I decided to join that group of Wikipedia users who actively bunch of knowledge on the English Wiki. Few people from the world of domestic films - for example - knows that I almost everything about Croatian film exists on Wikipedia I wrote. Do not get me immediately grab by the throat if there today writes something wrong or stupid: namely, articles on Wikipedia are changing day by day, but at a time when I was brought out that labor, article on Branko Bauer on Wikipedia had only three lines, ao many other classics never existed. Also, the first serious and long only article about the football club on Wikipedia also I wrote myself. Permanent changes
Experience writing for Wikipedia taught me a lot. First, realize that what is now thrown on page tomorrow does not have to be there. When I wrote an article about Hajduk (who had previously had a dozen lines and dry statistics), he recounted at length I Hajdukovo partisan episode, but this paragraph twice someone in the short term wiped, so the "survivor" on the wire until I it stubbornly added a third time. Whatever you write an article, if it concerns something even remotely popular, it is very likely that you'll find for a week transformed, presloženog, with lots of attached data, often foolish. For us who live authorship and we therefore sensitive to the integrity of the text, such experience is sometimes bitter, but sobering healthy: your text, as in the oral tradition or communist utopia, it becomes literally the public domain.
This - however tasso - is not the only thing I learned volunteer dopunjajući Wikipedia. I learned how encyclopedias, even when they are like this open and participatory as Wiki, imply the canon, and the canon is in principle colonial. At one point - somewhere before four or five years - I decided to leave the movie and began to add to or open a series of articles on Croatian culture, geography and cuisine. It happened to me unpleasant experience that after Article pasticada or brujet or sarma or water volleyball or series tasso "written off" (do not remember) from an anonymous editor - just like Roth - received a response to articles that intend to include will not be included because they are not relevant to the Encyclopedia. Wikipedia is in its inner logic, really hardened and least of all canonical encyclopedia. This is really the only encyclopedia in which the article on Manchester United to be greater than the article on Napoleon, and an article on the series "Wire" is greater than the article on Tintoretto. But even this, open, non-canonical and sexy encyclopedia bounds canonical tastes of those who created it: and they are educated, white North Americans with their ideas about important and unimportant, central and peripheral.
How to me in my life fascinates volunteering, with gusto I

No comments:

Post a Comment